Monday, May 14, 2007

Derek's damn dog

I watched two hours of Grey's Anatomy last night, all the while wiping away tears that were rolling down my face. I rarely get attached to fictional characters, but I have a weakness of crying at the minutest show of emotions. I cried watching Pinocchio. So you can imagine how I looked like the morning after watching Armageddon (a.k.a The Sob Fest).

In this particular episode, Meredith and Derek have to put their dog, Doc, to sleep since he's already dying of cancer. Meredith starts crying and it could be because Doc is the only link between her and Derek, or it could be because she loved that dog, or it could be both. At this point, I'm not sure if I was sad for the dog or for the loss that Meredith felt (at her failed relationship and/or the death of the dog). It certainly felt like I was crying because of Derek, though. However, it didn't matter since I was already fighting back tears when they arrived at Finn's (the vet and also Meredith's current love interest) way before the emotional roller coaster took place on the screen.

So how strong of a grip does this show, or any other show for that matter, have on me anyway? Without even knowing what it's like to really love somebody, I could feel Meredith's pain. And I don't even like dogs, yet I cried when Doc died. And Derek - don't get me started on McDreamy - I certainly feel I could love him too.

It's mind over matter, and emotion over mind. Ask me if I know what it feels like to stand at the edge of a cliff, or smoke a cigar, or jump off a plane, or be bitten by a snake and I'd be able to say I know what it feels like with a straight face. Not that I'm lying. I've dreamt them so many times I swear I know how the adrenaline will rush into all faculties of my body, how the warmth of the smoke will feel as it escapes my lips and how the snake bite will sting and numb my legs. I also know what it feels like to fly. Spookesville.

Hollywood thrives on artificial emotions - as I'll call it - and as long as they manage to make me cry, love, hate, hide behind a pillow (I'm a scaredy-cat but I love the thrills of watching ghost stories, even if it's with one eye half open and both ears closed), I'll be on the couch devouring all they can bring to me on the screen.

And to Derek... I think he should just divorce Addison and stop having to worry about being loyal to her since we all know he loves me Meredith by a mile. But even if he doesn't, at least I'll have the guilty pleasure of crying over his damn dog.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're still at the dog episode?dude, catch-up :p...

i love grey's anatomy, but i fear it's turning into another dawson's creek, everybody is starting to sleep with everybody (except for christina and burke of course - i adore them!)...

yazmin said...

Don't tell me what happens!!!

Yeah, that's what my sister says. But it's a guilty pleasure!

WhoTakesTheSugar said...

if idd = christina, then who's burke? jeng jeng jeng.

yazmin said...

you? jeng jeng jeng!

Anonymous said...

burke = cristiano ronaldo, jeng jeng jeng...