Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Old flames rekindled...

I first fell in love with Polaroids back in 2003 while watching "Almost Famous". At the time I was already an SLR enthusiast and was dabbling with black & white photography, spending my weekends in the darkroom developing pictures and rashes from the chemicals. It was rewarding and a somewhat omnipotent feeling of having complete control over my pictures. But somehow, watching Kate Hudson's character snapping away in the tour bus, with the sweet sound of the film sliding through the slot, and the magical instant the pictures develop from grey nothingness to vivid life, I immediately fell in love.

Since I returned home 2 years ago, I have shelved my One600 and not picked it up for the main reason that I didn't want to waste the triple pack of 10s I had. I used to buy pack of 3s at WalMart for USD30 and back then (when I didn't convert dollars into Ringgit) it felt cheap.

Now, after watching "Crazy/Beautiful" last week, my love for Polaroids was rekindled.

All that's left in my way is the fact that a packet of 10s cost around RM45 which roughly translates to RM4.50 per picture (which is around 4.5 times more expensive than buying a roll of your average 36exp 35mm film, having it developed and paying for service charge. Also about the price of a decent meal at my office canteen, to put things into perspective).

However, the weekend spent fooling around taking pictures with my sister using my expired Polaroid film was reason enough that Polaroids work the magic like no other camera.

Some pictures taken back in the day...
(l-r): my study in Fairfax Apartments, view of the UC from The Cut, cathedral next to Webster Hall

No comments: